Just Clearing My Head

...

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Two X's

I was nervous, because of the unknown, but I kept telling myself the maxims and specifically, "nothing happens to anyone that he cannot endure." It was silly to be nervous. Like everything in life there is first a litmus test and you'll either make it or you won't. I am in control of whether or not I make it.

He seemed skeptical at first and said, "so whaddaya wanna be, a police officer?" And I couldn't help but wonder, if he thought that was the reason I was there, didn't it seem odd that we were at a fire station? I had to tell him twice that yes, I wanted some advice on how to become a firefighter. The three stood around and told me stories and it seemed like the longer we talked the more they warmed up to the idea of me actually wanting to do this. I thought about all the time in the gym. You can train your body to do anything, that's the easy part. It's the brain you have to overcome. Finally he gave me the piece of advice that I've been searching out, the one that I really just needed to hear someone put out on the table without any lace or frills to dress it up. "They're going to want you to quit. You'll have to be really tough and not let it get to you. There's some real traditional guys out there. The first three weeks they're going to push you harder so you'll drop out. If you can stick through though, you'll be one of the guys."

And that's the hardest part. They gave me an 80 lb hose bundle to play with and after a few tries I figured out the best way to hoist it up onto my shoulder with one (somewhat) smooth movement. I can do the physical. My body is easy enough to mold. I hope that when it comes down to training, that I can find her reserves of strength within my brain as well, to remember that it's just a game and you get through it. The brain is not so easily tricked as the biceps.

12. Why all the guesswork? You can see what needs to be done. If you can see the road, follow it. Cheerfully, without turning back. If not, hold up and get the best advice you can. If anything gets in the way, forge on ahead, making good use of what you have on hand, sticking to what seems right. (The best goal to achieve, and the one we fall short of when we fail.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home