Just Clearing My Head

...

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Towards Mecca

There's this Marcus Aurelius quote that's encased itself into my brain today, "soon you will be dead, and none of this will matter." I am so thankful for the strong people that I've met throughout life. Jon Brogger and his wife are divorced. Talking to Ahniwa on the phone last night about the Y was like being transported back in time two and a half years, beautiful moments all. Jon used to come back into my office while it was slow (sometimes when it was busy, hehe) and we'd talk about change and possibilities. There was so much energy in these talks, so much action just crazy to get the chance to come to fruition. One of these talks stands out in my mind, there was one thing he said in particular that grabbed my attention and etched itself into my memory. He was talking about his relationship with his now ex-wife, and he said "I'm basically her last chance to have kids."

There were hours of guilt and forboding that came out with the statement, it was obviously something he had spent quite a lot of time thinking about.

I am so excited that Jon made the choice that would make him happy in the long. It's so easy to get tied up in guilt, that false sense of responsibility (that would entomb you), unhappiness. There is more to life than keeping your head above water. There is more to life than just maintaining, just for the sake of someone else's happiness. Jesus that's a hard one to learn. I have that strength in me, too; the strength of Jon Brogger when he looked at his wife and said, "this isn't working anymore." Life keeps going.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home